Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blessing Dress

Can I just say that my oldest daughter is turning into quite the project junky herself.  I mentioned to her a month ago that i thought it would be fun to make a dress for our new baby girl to be blessed in after she is born.  Like a Christening dress, a Blessing dress is usually fancy and white, but it doesn't have to be.  And in the spirit of wedding dresses with a splash of color, wanted to do something a little different for our Autumn baby.  So I told my daughter, we could make it out of cream fabric, and add brown tulle or a few tan ruffles in places for a twist on the normal Blessing dress.  So she stopped me before I gave her all my ideas and said. . ."Mom, i have just the dress we can make it out of."  I was kinda surprised that she would automatically look for another piece of clothing to make it from (since for once I was totally planning on buying fabric for it) and was nervous about what dress she was wanting to slice up.  She came back with a hand me down dress up dress from her dress up bin, that I think at one point in it's life span was a very cute little girls dress, but had been picked up at a yard sale, given to my sister in law, and handed down to me for playtime.  I looked it over and saw enough salvageable material, that I was getting pretty excited.  It was lined with satin, had raw silk, and organza. .  . which gave it lots of potential.  I messed around with it for a few days and with some inspiration from my friend Cindy at Cranberries and Capers, who customized and shipped a beautiful Blessing day headband before I had even fully formulated the my dress ideas. (Here's what she sent. . . . she. is. AMAZING.) 

I came up with a sweet petite fall Blessing dress, that has lots of different textures and warm woodsy colors that I am just LOVING!

   




And the best part, is it was totally free, thanks to my little project clone!




12 comments:

Kenna said...

Oh Kimmy It's GORGEOUS! Seriously, I love it! Awesome job to you and Cinders!:)

The Grant Family said...

Turned out darling! Great job!

Taylor's said...

HOLY SMOKES! That is amazing! Make sure you write the story down in the baby book - it will be a story past through the generations! It looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Kim, it is so beautiful. I just love it. The little gather at on the tiny sleeves is perfect as well as everything else.

KIM D said...

you are freaking AMAZING! i cannot believe all you get accomplished with (3) kids too boot! i may just send you a box of my old clothes that could use a little sprucing up and see what you come up with *wink, wink*

Audrey said...

Darling--great job! :)

Kathryn Palmer said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! The details are so precious. Everything about it is so beautiful. Can't wait to see baby girl in it!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect and cute in every way!

the landreths said...

wow oh wow :)

seriously, that's amazing.

Tanya said...

this is fantastic!

Cindy said...

kimster,

i can't believe i'm just now commenting. my goodness, what a beautiful dress! you continue to amaze me. every little detail is so cute. you are my hero ;) hope the headband works well...it was fun to create that for you.

xo cindy

p.s. i NEED to see more pics of little reese, i'm dying!

Unknown said...

If you're looking to lose fat then you certainly have to jump on this brand new custom keto diet.

To produce this service, licensed nutritionists, fitness trainers, and professional chefs united to develop keto meal plans that are effective, suitable, price-efficient, and enjoyable.

Since their grand opening in January 2019, 100's of people have already transformed their body and health with the benefits a proper keto diet can offer.

Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones provided by the keto diet.