Monday, January 18, 2010

May the Force Be with You. . .


I think this cloak just makes this $2.00 clearance Obi Wan  Star Wars costume completely authentic. It brings a warmth to my heart to see my little guy wandering around the house looking like he was cut straight from the movie (sullen face and all). I knew when i got this costume from my sister, who bought it at an after halloween clearence sale, that it needed a cloak.  I went to JoAnns and scoured their 50% off clearance rack for anything brown or black that would make suitable jedi cloak material.  I found a great woven brown that ended up being $1.50 a yard!


I wasn't quite sure where to begin, i dont make many cloaks, as you could imagine, so i needed to get a good visual.  When I start to make something without a pattern and I'm having a hard time really seeing it in my head,  I draw a simple picture of what I want the end result to be from a couple of angles.  Then, i break it down by adding in dotted lines where i would have to sew parts together.  It really helps me visualize what i need to cut out.  Then i can sketch the different pieces separatly and figure out how many of each piece i would need.  Next i make measurements of the person I am making it for.   And, with tape measure close by, I am ready to begin cutting.  I use my very slim knowledge of sewing {that develops more with everything i sew} and sew the pieces in what i feel like would be the best order {even though sometimes i am wrong :) } I had planned on showing a tutorial but my pictures i took of the process are missing somewhere in this vast computer storage land. So i will show you how i draw out my patterns. . . it is very unprofessional, but it works for me and maybe it can give you some ideas! 

No comments: