Friday, December 18, 2009

Framed


{before}

I have been an antiquing fool lately.  It all started with my piano.  I thought the dark paint highlighted some features that, when it was monotone, were unsightly.  So i keep trying it with other things, different color combinations, and it hasn't failed me yet.  I cannot of course have everything in my house distressed or antiqued, so i am giving it as gifts now :).  Hence today's post.  An unnamed family member is getting this beauty for christmas.    But before i cut the glass (i personally don't cut the glass, you know what i mean though), put a picture in it, and get the hardware on the back I am going to show how easy it is to do on any old frame (or piece of furniture for that matter).  This frame is actually newly made by my hubby, but you can get any old wooden frame and make it look designer.
HERE'S HOW I DID IT:
-Spray paint a frame a light color. (do a couple of coats)  I love Krylon's Almond color.
-Next take a darker color, i use those little craft paint tubes you can buy in walmarts craft section for less than 50 cents, and squirt some on a plate.  If you have lots of crevises to your frame you can thin the paint with a bit of water.  But if you do a flat frame like the one i have shown, just use it as it is. 
-Take a paper towel and dab it in the paint.  Then smear the darker paint over top of your finished frame appling it heavier where you want it to stay darker. 
-Then Lightly with a clean paper towel wipe it off to remove excess paint.  Start removing the paint in the areas you want to stay lighter.    {Do these two steps one edge of the frame at a time, becuase the paint dries quickly and you want to be able to remove it from the places you choose.}
-Once you are done you can do any touch ups you need, and then let it dry.  I dont even put polyurethane over mine because they are out of reach of the kids hands, but you could poly it for extra protection, then you are done!  It looks awesome with frames that have all sorts of nooks and crannies, too!



{After}



4 comments:

Kenna said...

Kimmers LOVE the new blog! I'm so excited to keep checking back! Have you ever spray painted metal? We have some old metal primary folding chairs that I'm trying to redo for a christmas project but the paint doesn't seem to be working, any suggestions??

Kim said...

I have sprayed metal before, nothing that sees the wear and tear that kids chairs do. But i have used spray paint that is made for metal. Rustolium makes some i know, i dont know if it would be in the colors you want. But with those old primary chairs i would try to sand the surface a bit (since they are usually already painted)and rough up what is on there, then maybe it will stick better. I want to see how those turn out!

Unknown said...

You continue to amaze me! You need to come over and see the new place and get some ideas for me!

Cindy said...

Love it! I think I may have to try this one...and I love the photos of the frame, very artsy :)